KANO, DECEMBER 11, 2014(CISA) – Churches in Nigeria have increased security after a bomb attack on a mosque in Kano, northern Nigeria that left more than 100 people dead.
Bishop John Namaza Niyiring of the Catholic Diocese of Kano said the measures include erecting barricades, using metal detectors to check people entering churches, and a special police unit “carrying out surveillance in areas where we intend to hold special functions”.
More than 100 people were killed and 135 wounded in multiple suicide bomb blasts at Kano’s central mosque on November 29 by the militant Islamist group Boko Haram.
The people of Kano “are politically in the know and will want to exercise their civic responsibilities,” the Catholic Herald quoted Bishop Niyiring as saying.
The bishop said the call on Kano residents to go about their normal duties and continue to worship in the mosque by one of Nigeria’s most influential monarchs would boost morale ahead of the elections.
“We have received cooperation from the various security services, which has helped to stem tide of sectarian attacks since 2012 in the state,” Bishop Niyiring said.
He further said that officials of the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of Nigeria met with President Goodluck Jonathan earlier this year to discuss attacks on churches and the need for heightened security.
“There is also the need for the Church and the state to collaborate on tackling the plight of people who have been internally displaced by the violence,” Bishop Niyiring said.