NAIROBI DECEMBER 2, 2016 (CISA) –Education Cabinet Secretary Fred Matiang’i has said that the candidates who sat the 2016 KCPE exams will join secondary school in the first month of 2017, a change from the usual February entry.
“Form one selection begins immediately and on December 9, we shall meet here at Kenya Institute of Curriculum Development to finalize national schools selection,” said CS Matiang’i on December 1, while announcing the 2016 KCPE exam results.
He added that admission letters to secondary schools will reach candidates by December 25 and that students are expected to report to their respective secondary schools starting from January 9.
The top 2016 KCPE candidate scored 436 marks out of a possible 500, compared to last year’s 449 while only 5,190 candidates scored 400 and above, a drop from 2015’s 7,560.
According to Dr Matiang’i, there were no cases of examination leakage in exams. Consequently, no candidate or examination will have their results cancelled.
“I wish to inform the country that for the first time in the history of the KCPE examination, there was no cancellation of results for any candidate,” he said and attributed the success to various security measures put in place during the administration and management of the exams.
A total of 942,021 candidates sat the examinations between December 1 and 3. Some 168,800 professionals were recruited to invigilate and supervise the exams.
Another 5,047 examiners were involved in the marking of the English Composition, Kiswahili Insha and Kenya Sign Language.
Dr Matiang’i announced that special candidates registered improved performance and attributed the grades to strategies laid out to take care of special interests of the candidates.
The top candidate out the 1,950 special needs candidates scored 421 marks out of the possible 500 marks.